Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Orthodox Girls Experimenting

Beverly Hills psycho-therapist Donna Burstyn blogs:

A girl moved into town and joined a family in my religious community. She’s an Orthodox girl from an Orthodox family. She’s rebelling.

Away from home, she’s very happy to be in Los Angeles. Her Orthodox day school lays down many rules, including prohibitions of dating and parties with girls. One-on-one dating is particularly prohibited. It usually involves sexuality, self-esteem, distraction from schoolwork and things the Orthodox community opposes.

The 15-year old girl became my client. I can see her mother and grandmother in her.

I talked to her about the sacrifices we make to stay in school and to be a part of our Orthodox community. Her boyfriend seems supportive of this but I don’t know what goes on behind closed doors.



No comments: